Friday, March 21, 2008

How to respond??

The other day, I was at Erica's soccer practice - with no other children. Dave was actually in town and off work early, and offered to hang out with the other children so I could go watch Erica practice. I love those times - not because I don't want to be with the other kids, but because I love to be able to give my undivided attention to one child. Anyway, as I was sitting there, enjoying the quiet and watching my daughter play the sport I love, some of the ladies around me started talking about school. One lady asked me where Erica went to school, and I told her that I teach her at home. Her response was "Oh, I feel so sorry for you!" What?! I wasn't quite sure how to respond, and I'm not known for having great comebacks, so my lame response was ,"I enjoy it." While that is true, I'm sure I could've come up with something better!! When I told Dave, he just laughed - he knows I'm not good at responding when people say things that surprise me. Any ideas you all might have are welcome! And while you're at it, feel free to help me answer the question people love to ask me: Are they all yours?

1 comment:

:)De said...

Hi Sadliers,
De here. Found your blog from 60 Toes. I homeschool and also have 4 children and the added adventure of them being adopted so we have a rainbow that draws much attention. The response to our homeschooling that took me by surprise the most was the exaggerated “WHY?!?!?” … as if I had just announced that I was cliff jumping without a parachute. The lady’s comment of "Oh, I feel so sorry for you!" almost seems like being at home with her children all day would be a punishment for her. I tend to meet home school opposition or misunderstanding with enthusiastic ramblings; listing off all of the wonderful benefits, the beauty of being with my children, the joy of teachable moments, and on and on. Maybe give yourself a couple of scripts to use when questioned so you don’t feel caught off guard. BTW… your children are beautiful!